2018 Annual Barn Photography Contest
Left: 2016 1st Place Adult Open - Katrina Hanneman
Categories and Details
- Barns of a Bygone Era - Barns that have “seen better days”. Photographs should
show a once loved barn now in disrepair, falling down, just the structural shell left
and so forth. (Photographs cannot be enhanced using computer software).
- Winter Wonderland - Winter barn scenes! Photographs must have snow, ice or
other recognizable part of winter in the photograph. (Photographs cannot be enhanced
using computer software).
- Adult Open – For any photos that don’t fit in the first two categories, enter them here. Must include an identifiable part of a barn (inside or out). (Photographs can be enhanced using computer software).
- Kids Open - For photographers under the age of 14, enter a photograph that includes any identifiable part of a barn (inside or out).
Entry Deadline: Monday, February 5, 2018
Entry Fee: Free for members of FoMB or $25* yearly membership (individual
membership) to include a quarterly newsletter, discounts on tours, great group of people to
get to know and so much more! (*youth and students excluded)
Submission Information to Include:
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Category Entering
Email: .jpg digital image to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail: 8 x 10 printed photograph to: Clare Hoelderle, 19685 Oak Grove Avenue,
Prior Lake, MN 55372. Must be postmarked by entry deadline.
- Please submit only your own photos. If submitting a photo taken by a family or friend who is unable to enter the contest themselves (due to age or having passed away), please note the photographer’s name as well as your own name.
- If you would like to alter your original photograph with computer software programs, please enter the photo into the “Open” category. Only unaltered photos should be submitted to the other categories.
- Photos may be taken with any type of camera (phone, tablet, etc.). Filters and other camera accessories may be used.
- By entering the contest, you allow the Friends of Minnesota Barns to use your photograph in the barn calendar as well as in other FoMB-related promotions, advertisements, products, websites, social media sites, and any other way the group sees fit. The photographer will be credited if the photograph is used.
- A photographer may enter one (1) unique photograph into each category he or she is eligible for. Youth may submit photos to the “Adult” categories. The same photograph may not be entered into multiple categories.
- A total of 12 winners will be selected and will receive a 2019 calendar.
- Winners will be announced in spring 2018 at the FoMB Annual Meeting.
- Judges will have the final decision on if a photograph meets the criteria for a specific category.
- Judges will vote on the photographs they like the best. We are not experts in photography techniques. We will vote based on the emotions that the photographs evoke in us and how much we connect with each photograph. Judges appointed by the Board will cast votes for their favorite photographs in each category.
- One additional vote will be awarded to the most liked photograph per category on our Facebook page: Friends of Minnesota Barns. After the entry deadline, all entries will be posted on Facebook and anyone who visits the page may “vote” for a photo by pushing the ‘Like’ button. One vote per category, per person. If a person likes more than one photo per category, their votes will be discounted for all photos they have liked.
- In the case of a tie, judges will re-cast votes between only the tied photographs. If needed, a tie-breaker judge will be asked to vote between tied photographs.